Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Response to 2nd half of City Eclogue

I understand that this blog response is a tad bit late, and I apologize.

The second half of City Eclogue is, to me, quite nonsensical and unstructured. I can hardly extract any meaning from Roberson's poems. It seems he is still going on about cities and racial tension, though even that is difficult to get from this. He speaks of birds on multiple occasions, as well as cars and trains and other symbols of freedom and transportation. I suppose truly being free and being ridden of racial prejudice is the main theme in the entire book. I like how "Eclogue", and the book itself, ends with a quote from Carl Sagan. "We are the stuff of stars". In the context of this book, it means something a little different. In a literal sense we are the stuff of stars, matter and such (I haven't studied astrology in awhile). But in the context of the book it could symbolize how every individual is special or connected by the fact that we are all matter. People aren't that different, and prejudice of race is a silly, unnecessary concept.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, good responses here, also make sure to include specific examples from the texts.

    ReplyDelete